Following on from Jades article about Preconception Care (READ IT HERE), she has given us some great snacks and meal ideas for pregnancy.
Hunger can strike instantly between meals, so it is essential to be organized with snacks when this arises. By making sure there are snacks on hand ready that are high in complex carbohydrates and protein to fill you up.
Some great snack ideas include:
• Boiled eggs
• Homemade granola breakfast bar (recipe coming soon)
• Smoothies with vegan/vegetarian protein powder
• Trail mix (dried fruit and nuts)
• Humus with brown rice crackers
Sweet potato frittata mix
Ingredients (aim for organic where possible)
• One large sweet potato diced into small pieces
• Broccoli chopped
• Spring onions finely chopped
• Cherry tomatoes
• Eight eggs
• ¾ cup parmesan cheese (do not substitute for soft cheese)
• Salt and pepper
• Baby spinach
• Preheat oven to 200 degrees
• Place chopped sweet potato in a microwave for 3-5 minutes until soft
• In the meantime, sauté the spring onions in a frying pan until softened
• Whisk together eight eggs, parmesan and salt, and pepper
• Add broccoli to fry pan until cooked through, then add spinach until weltered down
• Pour egg mixture onto oven proof tray, then add all of the remaining ingredients.
• Cook for 20-25 minutes
Jade is a final year Naturopathy student at The Southern School of Natural Therapies. She is currently seeing clients from their Fitzroy campus as part of their Student Clinic.