(For the Veggie stock)
• 2 brown onions
• 4 carrots
• 4-5 stalks of celery
• 1 leek
• 5 cloves of garlic
• 4-5 bay leaves
• Salt and Pepper
• Small handful parsley
• Small handful thyme
• Optional – rosemary
1. Wash vegetables and chop everything with the skin on (except the bay leaves). Include the green part of the leek and the leaves of the celery, which are high in magnesium.
2. Oil the pot before sautéing the garlic and onions. Then add the celery, leek, and carrot. Cook on low for 10 minutes with the lid on.
3. Add enough water to cover the vegetables, and then add the herbs. Cook on high heat until water boils, then reduce heat to low.
4. Allow simmering for at least one hour
5. Strain vegetables and store stock
ROAST PUMPKIN & SWEET POTATO SOUP
• 2 Sweet potatoes
• 2kg butternut pumpkin
• 1 brown onion
• 1 clove of garlic
• The white end of 1 leek
• 500 mL vegetable stock
• ½ can of coconut milk (~200 mL)
• Chopped parsley
o Optional – add cinnamon or paprika to roasting sweet potato
1. Roast pumpkin and sweet potato in oven at 180 C for 45 minutes, turning over halfway.
2. Once cooked, puree the vegetables using a food processor or even a potato masher. I keep the skins in the puree – I feel it adds flavor.
3. On a frying pan, sauté garlic, onion, and leek in oil until soft.
4. Add the stock and pureed vegetables. Stir together before adding the coconut cream.
5. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until well mixed.